Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Buffalo Wings &
Blue Cheese Dip [Vegan]

I told my friend Joe that if I ever went to New York, I'd forsake my vegetarianism and eat a real Buffalo Wing. That was true when I said it but I know now that I could never and will never eat meat again. But I was still curious as to how a buffalo wing would taste. I already tackled Buffalo Style Mac & Cheese, so I knew I had to take on the staple of the city of Buffalo: Buffalo Wings. I did some research on which products make the best fake meat, and how to make real buffalo wings. What I came up with was nothing short of a vegan masterpiece. This was my first experience using and consuming seitan. It is truely amazing as a meat substitute.

Ingredients
6 oz Seitan (cut into strips)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
oil for frying

1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 Franks Hot Sauce (Must be Franks or its not authentic. Well, as authentic as vegan wings can be)


In a large bowl, mix flour, garlic powder, chili powder and paprika. Dip seitan strips into bowl, covering with the flour mixture. (The seitan should be sticky enough to hold the flour mixture. If yours isn't, dip seitan into either egg replacer or vegan milk before you place in flour.) Once all the seitan is covered with the flour, place them on a plate and put into the fridge for atleast an hour.

Once you are ready to cook seitan, heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Place seitan in hot oil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning as needed to ensure all sides are cooked. Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, melt butter with the hot sauce.


Once the seitan and hot sauce are done, place seitan in a large bowl and pour hot sauce over. Shake or mix to cover seitan completely. I suggest not leaning over the bowl because it made my eyes water and burn just being close to the hot sauce.




Blue cheese is to Buffaloians, as ranch is to Californians. What we use ranch for, they use blue cheese. And the place that created Buffalo wings decided that the only dressing to dip your wings in is blue cheese. So when I made vegan buffalo wings for Superbowl Sunday, I had to find a way to make a vegan blue cheese to go along with it.

Blue Cheese Dip Ingredients
6 oz Vegan Blue Cheese (I use Soy Blue by Vegcusine.net)
4 tbs plain & unsweetened nondairy milk
2 tbs Vegan Sour Cream
2 tbs water



Crumble blue cheese and place in food processor. Process till it's been reduced to tiny pieces, almost grain like. Add remaining ingredients and continue processing till it reaches a thick liquid consistency. You can add more water or milk if you want it thinner. Keeping it a bit thick will help it stick to whatever you're putting it on. Chill in the fridge for about an hour before using.




This was super yummy! I've always hated the taste and texture of meat, so I'm one vegan who doesn't even like the mock meat. But this was so good I didn't mind that the texture was crazy close to the real thing. The best strips were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The buffalo wing and blue cheese dip combo was prefect and made my vegetarian man very happy.

3 comments:

  1. i'll have to try this! Shaun loves buffalo wings and they always look and smell super delicious but i never get to eat them, so this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brand of seitan did you use? All the pre-made kinds ive tried taste like dog food to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooooo want to try this recipe! When I ate meat, hotwings and ranch dressing was MY thing. Now that I'm vegan, I was looking for a great replacement - and I've found it! thanks for this!!!

    ReplyDelete