Monday, January 31, 2011

Cake Doughnuts &
Glaze [Vegan]

I could not tell you the last time I had a doughnut before this recipe. The fear of sugar, carbs, and fried foods kept me from consuming this amazing treat. But when I was searching for more things to make for breakfast (the meal I never eat and therefore hardly cook) I was reminded how much I missed this guilty pleasure. And since I don't feel as bad about eating unhealthy foods, if I make it, I decided to make doughnuts for the first time in my life.

Doughnut Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 cup vegan sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup plain vegan milk
1 egg replacer
Oil for frying


In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix in butter until crumbly. Then stir in milk and egg replacer until smooth. Gently knead then place on a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness. With a cookie cutter, or something round (I used a peanut butter jar lid)cut doughnut shapes out of dough. With a smaller cookie cutter, cut hole in center of doughnut round.




Heat oil in a pan (or use a deep fryer) and place a few doughnuts and donut holes in hot oil. Turn after 3 minutes or once the side of the doughnut is golden, and fry the other side till golden as well. Allow to cool before you glaze.




Glaze Ingredients
1/4 cup vegan milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners' sugar


Combine milk and vanilla in a saucepan and heat over low heat until warm. Stir confectioners' sugar into mixture. Add food coloring if you choose and whisk until combined. Remove glaze from heat. Dip doughnuts into glaze, one at a time and set on a draining rake with paper towels underneath. If using sprinkles, add before glaze cools.




These turned about pretty good. They didn't feel as heavy or as sugary as doughnuts from a shop. The glaze was light as well. Adam enjoyed these and we managed to finish them off in only a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment