Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tomato Basil Pizza [Vegan]

It's safe to say that everyone loves pizza. Crunchy crust, herbed sauce and gooey melted cheese make this dish a staple around the world. But, for vegans who have given up cheese, it's near impossible to find a pizza joint that will cater to the vegan diet. Luckily Z Pizza has a vegan pizza. But for those without a vegan friendly pizza parlor, you'll have to do with making your own. Thankfully vegan cheese has come a long way. And while alternatives will never live up to the real thing, the Vegan Gourmet Cheeses in this recipe are certainly close.


Tomato Sauce
1 6oz can Tomato Paste
1 cup Water
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tbs Oregano
1/2 tbs Rosemary
Salt & Pepper to taste


Combine ingredients until smooth. Set aside to allow flavors to blend


Pizza Dough
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 cups Wheat Flour
1 cup water
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs Garlic powder
1 tbs Thyme
3 tbs Nutritional Yeast


Blend dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add water and oil and mix using hands. Beat until dough becomes stiff. Place on a floured surface and form dough into a round. Then roll into a flat pizza shape. I like to roll the edge up a bit to create a thicker crust, and sprinkle with a few favorite seasonings. Set aside and preheat oven to 350 degrees while you prepare toppings.


Toppings
1 Tomato
3 Large Basil Leaves
Vegan Gourmet Cheese in Mozzarella
Vegan Gourmet Cheese in Chedder


I suggest freezing the vegan cheeses for at least 4 hours before hand. It will make them much easier to shred. It is up to you how much cheese you want on your pizza. I shred about 1/2 to 3/4 of each block of cheese as I enjoy a really cheesy pizza. Next, slice up the tomato, be sure to remove any seeds along the way. For the basil, I roll up a few leaves and slice it thinly, so I have long thin piece to cover the pizza.

Place sauce on dough, top with cheese, tomatos and then basil slices. Place in oven on a round metal sheet and bake for about 20 mins. Voila! Delicious animal free pizza.



This dish can be made easier by buying sauce and dough, but I enjoy making my own so I can season to my liking. So play around with the flavors. I swear you wont tell the difference between this and pizza made with real cheese. I introduced this to a friend of mine at work, a rabid meateater, and he loved it! Even asked for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment